So much has been spoken about body shaming and yet I feel as though it is not enough. It is not about being fat/obese/thin/skinny or anything like that. It is about how people perceive you and the fact that you let it affect you.
“What others think of you is none of your Business”
The above quote does not mean that you should not at all create an image for yourself. It just means that if that image is not going down well with others, just ignore them.
Watch out for who is actually concerned for you and who is just bullying you. The people who are concerned – may tell you something that you don’t like (and do so privately) but they usually also encourage you. Whereas, the others, just bully you – anywhere, anytime, in front of anyone. STAY AWAY FROM SUCH PEOPLE!
What you think of yourself is much more important than what others think of you. If you are comfortable in your own skin, don’t bother about anyone else. The sad truth is body shaming begins with us. More often than not, we end up hating the person we see in the mirror. I have done this to myself for a number of years and let the others do it to me as well. The scars are so deep that even today I get affected. What we don’t realize is that if we don’t love ourselves enough, there’s hardly anyone else who will!
The world is full of free advisors. Everyone loves to give free advice. “You are beautiful. If you lose some weight, you’ll look great”. “You are too thin like an LCD screen, if you gain some weight especially on your boobs, you’ll look great.” “You’ve big boobs, cover them up for they attract attention.” And so on and so forth. And the issue is because of our own insecurities, we listen to each and every person around us and go down into dumps.
You are the only person who decides your self-worth. If you let the others take you down, trust me they will. And you are better than this! You can deal with such people by doing the below:
- Steer Clear: There’s nothing better than staying sway from the people who bring your energy levels down by making you feel bad about yourself. Rather stay alone than being with such people for the sake of it.
- Build Self-Confidence: Everyone has a different quality. If Oprah Winfrey were asked to play baseball, it wouldn’t work. Know your abilities and start believing in them. You are not like anyone else. YOU ARE UNIQUE!
- Gather Support: If you feel you are being body shamed – confide in the people you trust. Ask them to support you. There is nothing wrong about asking for help. Everyone needs it.
- Retain Your Power: No one has the power to hurt you and make you feel smaller if you don’t let them. Don’t hand over your power to anyone else – even if it is someone very close to you.
- Love Yourself: This is the most important gift that you can give yourself. Develop Self – Love! Look at yourself in the mirror and say – “I LOVE YOU” at least 5 times every morning. It is stupid. It is also hard. Don’t just say it, believe in it. Let the smile reach your eyes. Once you start loving yourself, world is your oyster. 🙂
You, my friend have the power to turn it around and disregard Body Shaming because you are stupendofantabulously AMAZING!!! You have a little world inside of you and don’t let anyone pollute it!
Stay fit. Stay Gentle. Live consciously.